The High Country Galleries and Museums Directory
Be the first to advertise in The High Country Galleries and Museums Directory!
We are developing highcountry.vic.guide for you and early supporters can secure top of category and page one spots! If you would like to create a listing in The High Country for your Business or Community Group first Create an Account
Replace this Ad with your content, Your listing updates this entire page!
View an example. Consider what Category might you list in? Do we have it?
Do you like the Galleries and Museums in The High Country?
The High Country Galleries and Museums
Galleries, Museums and Historical Venues in and Around The High Country in Victoria, Australia
The High Country of Victoria, Australia is a region known for its natural beauty, rugged terrain, and rich history. It is also home to a number of unique and fascinating galleries, museums, and historical venues that offer a glimpse into this vibrant region's past, present, and future. Whether you are a history buff, an art lover, or simply looking for a way to spend a day or two exploring the area, there is something for everyone in The High Country. In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the most popular galleries, museums, and historical venues in the region.
1) Benalla Art Gallery - Located in the town of Benalla, the Benalla Art Gallery is one of the most important galleries in the region, housed in a stunning heritage building. The gallery has a diverse collection of Australian art, including works by contemporary artists, as well as an impressive collection of international art.
2) Mansfield Art Gallery - The Mansfield Art Gallery is located in the picturesque town of Mansfield and exhibits work from a range of contemporary Australian artists and has a strong focus on the environment, featuring works with themes of sustainability and climate change.
3) Wangaratta Art Gallery - The Wangaratta Art Gallery showcases a wide range of contemporary Australian art, with an emphasis on works by artists from the local region. Among the collection, there are also some amazing Indigenous Australian art pieces.
1) Burke Museum - The Burke Museum is located in the town of Beechworth, and it houses an enormous collection of artefacts that tell the story of the region's goldrush and colonial history. Featuring everything from machinery and tools to clothing and household items, it is one of the most popular museums in the region.
2) Old Beechworth Gaol - One of the most intriguing and well-preserved colonial prisons in the country is the Old Beechworth Gaol. Visitors can take a self-guided tour of the prison and learn about the daily workings of the facility, including some of the unique characters that were incarcerated there.
3) Wangaratta Historical Museum - The Wangaratta Historical Museum is situated in the town’s old courthouse building, offering a glimpse into the local history of the High Country through the collection of artefacts and historical information of the area.
1) Beechworth Town Hall - The Beechworth Town Hall is an iconic heritage building that played a significant role in the town's history. Today, it acts as a cultural and community centre, hosting a range of events, including exhibitions, performances, and festivals.
2) Ned Kelly's Last Stand - Located very close to the Old Beechworth Gaol, you'll discover Ned Kelly’s Last Stand Museum, representing and showcases the story of Australia's most notorious bushranger, including a collection of artefacts that belonged to Kelly and his gang.
3) Mount Buffalo National Park - The Mount Buffalo National Park is a stunning historic location in the High Country, providing opportunities to explore indigenous art, historic huts, and former ski resorts.
The High Country is a fascinating region, full of history, culture, and natural beauty. Whether you are a history buff, an art lover, or simply looking for something fun to do while in the area, there is something for everyone here. From galleries and museums to historical venues, the region offers an in-depth look into Australia's history and its cultural significance. So go out and explore, there's so much to see and discover in The High Country.
The High Country Galleries and Museums Articles